Cream Cheese Pound Cake and Strawberry Coulis



I've posted quite a few pound cakes on this blog and I think this is one of my favorites. Maybe even my very favorite. It is to absolutely die for. I didn't think that any pound cake could top my favorite which is the Five Flavor Pound Cake but man this one rocks! I found it over at Smitten Kitchen. It is a really great food blog. I've made several things that I've seen there and they were all great. The strawberry coulis puts it over the top, but the cake does not really need it if you don't feel like making it. It's simple to make and I can eat it right out of the dish!!! I never even heard of coulis before. I think I will try this sometime with blueberries when they are in season.

Do any of you watch American Idol? I LOVE American Idol and have been watching it since the first season with Kelly Clarkson. If you do watch it, who are you hoping will win? My bets are on Adam.....I love his voice AND his looks!!!

I have one more question here - do any of you have a Viking stove? My husband is thinking of getting one when we move next year. If any of you out there have one, please let me know if you like it and any other tips about them. Thanks!!!

1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter, unsalted at room temperature
1 package (8 ounces) Philadelphia brand cream cheese, at room temperature
3 cups sugar
6 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 325 F. Lightly butter a 10 inch tube pan, then line the bottom with parchment paper. Or you can use a 12 cup Bundt pan (I used that) and simply butter and flour it.
Place the butter and cream cheese in a large bowl and beat with a mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add the sugar and increase the speed to high, and beat until light and airy, at least 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Add the vanilla, almond, then the flour and salt all at once. Beat just until incorporated.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and shake lightly to even out the top. Bake until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean, 1 1/4 hours.
Place the pan on a cake rack for 20 minutes, then remove the cake from the pan and let it cool completely. Serve at room temperature.

Strawberry Coulis (I halved the recipe below)

2 cups quartered hulled strawberries(about 12 ounces)
1/4 cup water
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Combine strawberries, water, sugar and lemon juice in blender. Puree until very smooth, then press through a fine mesh strainer to remove seeds. Cover and refrigerate until cold. Coulis can be prepared one day ahead.

Comments

Anonymous said…
The pound cake sounds really good and wonderful with the strawberry coulis!
Debbie, you have never steered me wrong on a recipe. After the marble pound cake being such a hit, I will have to spring this one on my family too!. Your photos are beautiful!
April said…
I love pound cake, and I bet this one is fantastic!!!

I watch American Idol, and I like Megan for some reason. I don't think she will win it, but she is just so cute.
Donna-FFW said…
Sounds like such a winner and lloks just perfect with the strawberry coulis. I will have to make this shortly. Thanks!
Spryte said…
I've never made a pound cake. That looks great and love the strawberry coulis!
Jennifer said…
You are the queen of poundcake, I love the Coulis, I had no idea what one was!

I am voting for Adam too, this is our 1st year watching.

I just bought an Electrolux Duel Fuel Stove, I highly recommend it and it is cheaper than a viking :)
Claudia said…
This looks beautiful - so spring. Bookmarked it for when I go to the grocers tomorrow.
Hayley said…
Pound cake is sooo good. I love toasting it, and serving it with caramelized bananas, chocolate, and ice cream. Thanks for the recipe!
tamilyn said…
I have never made pound cake-I may need to start with this recipe!

I haven't watched Idol this year since I work nights now.

I would love a Viking stove, but never gonna happen. I did find a nice Jenn Air dual fuel on clearance at my local appliance store-but needed the washer and dryer more. Sigh. I keep telling the hubs he would get more desserts if I had duel fuel!
The Blonde Duck said…
I love pound cake. I love cream cheese. I love cream cheese pound cake.

I need more Chiaerobics!
Pamela said…
Wow, Debbie! This cake sounds fabulous and it looks scrumptious.
Reeni said…
This looks so delicious, especially with the coulis!!

I haven't watched Idol yet but when it gets closer to the end I will. I'm sorry I can't help you with the stove.
Elyse said…
Mmm, this poundcake looks totally fabulous, and I bet it's just over-the-top good with a bit of strawberry coulis. Yum!

I actually just watched American Idol tonight--I'm a big Anoop fan (I went to UNC for undergrad, so how could I not love a Carolina boy?)
Amanda said…
Sorry no Viking stove and my husband dominates the TV, so no American Idol :-P BUT I will be trying this pound cake! :)
Anonymous said…
This sounds so Springy...I want...I want.
Barbara Bakes said…
Your pound cake looks fabulous. I'll have to give the strawberry coulis a try!