Cherry Swirl Coffee Cake


I did it! I did it! I DID IT!!! I FINALLY made something with yeast. I have been so fearful of baking anything that contained yeast, that I just kept putting it off and off until I finally decided to just do it already! It was a bit confusing for me since I have Rapid Rise yeast instead of just regular yeast, because I wasn't sure to follow the recipe for the coffee cake or the instructions on the package of the yeast. The very last thing I need when trying something new is confusion. I get very irritated to say the least. I did add the yeastby itself to the wet ingredients which as it turns out I should not have. I should have added it to the dry ingredients but it worked out anyhow. I must have done something wrong though since I was only able to get one coffee cake out of this recipe and it does state that it makes 2. I will make it again, this time with a bit more knowledge and an idea of what I am doing....all in all it came out well and was very tasty. I came across the recipe at Bunny's Warm Oven . You can also find the recipe here at Crisco Recipes. If you are not used to working with yeast this is a good beginner recipe. If I can do this, anyone can!!

1 1/4 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup Crisco All Vegetable Shortening
1 (1/4 oz) package active dry yeast
3 1/4 cups Pillsbury Best All Purpose flour
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Crisco original non stick cooking spray
1 cup cherry preserves
1 cup powdered sugar
milk
1/3 cup sliced almonds (I omitted these)

Heat 1 1/4 cups milk, salt, granulated sugar and shortening in small saucepan just to boiling, cool to lukewarm (105 to 115 F). Stir in yeast, transfer mixture to medium bowl.
Add one cup flour to milk mixture, beat well. Add eggs and vanilla, beat well. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a thick batter; beat until smooth. Let rise, covered, in warm place, free from drafts, until doubled in bulk, about one hour. Stir batter down.
Spray to 9 inch round cake pans with no stick cooking spray. Pour batter into prepared pans, let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
Heat oven to 375 F. Make a swirl design on top of batter about 1/2 inch deep with a floured spoon, fill grooves with preserves, using 1/4 cup for each cake.
Bake until golden, 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from pans, cool on wire racks until warm. Fill grooves with remaining preserves.
Mix powdered sugar with enough milk to make thin glaze, drizzle over warm coffee cakes. Sprinkle with almonds.

Comments

Donna-FFW said…
YAY for you Debbie!! It looks beautiful!! I have to be a copycat!! I am going to make this, it looks so pretty!! Nice job.. did you like the taste??
noble pig said…
It turned out perfectly...congrats to you.
April said…
It looks fantastic!! Congrats on conquering your yeast fear!! I am going to have to make this!
Nice job. Looks delicious!
Reeni said…
You did a wonderful job! It turned out perfect, and it looks real delicious!
Pamela said…
Wow, Debbie!! This cake looks fabulous. Congrats on conquering the yeast! I love the drizzle on the top of this cake, and the way the cherries are peeking out.
Jennifer said…
Good for you, I was afraid for a very long time as well. It looks delish to me!
Sara said…
Congratulations, your coffee cake looks perfect! I was afraid of yeast when I started too, but now I bake bread almost every week.
Anonymous said…
Congratulations on conquering the yeast fear! I had conquered mine not that long ago so I know how good it feels :) The cake looks awesome!
Nice job! I'm a bit fearful of yeast myself and haven't quite gotten the gusto to try it just yet. Glad to see that you had success though!
Congrats on the yeast? Debbie this looks fantastic! I would love to be able to make something beautiful like this.
Judy said…
Great job, Debbie. Your photo is gorgeous, and the coffee cake looks yummy. I hate the instant yeast because if you add it to dry ingredients, you don't really know if it's any good till the liquids get in there.
Pam said…
I so wish I had this for breakfast this morning! The photo is mouth watering good.
Anonymous said…
thanks for the comment!
btw, I live in Virginia too! which part do you live in?
The Blonde Duck said…
I'm so happy for you! This looks divine. Absolutely divine. I'll have to make it for my mother for mother's day--she adores cherry!
NKP said…
Looks perfect! And sooo delicious.
Julie said…
Wow...that looks amazing! Now I have a serious craviing on my hands.
Katy said…
Debbie, very well done! I've baked with yeast for years, and there are still projects I'm timid to try. Good for you for overcoming yours!
jesse said…
Omg, congratulations!!! I'm terrified of making things with yeast. Your coffee cake looks incredible!
Dragon said…
Congratulations! This cake looks amazing. So beautiful.
It looks beautiful; good enough to eat! Congrats on the success!
TATESAL said…
Hello Debbie!!Very good and very fantastic....With my love
Kana said…
Debbie:

This looks like it came from a store!
Jillian said…
you go, girl! That looks wonderful.
Jamie said…
Yay! It looks gorgeous!
Nancy/n.o.e said…
Great job for your first yeast! I know that feeling - my first experience was in November. I'll bet there's no stopping you now! I found that the recipes at King Arthur's site were great for beginners.
Nancy
Emily said…
This cake looks delicious! You did it! You conquered the yeast!
Jamie said…
Yay and gorgeous! It is so perfect! I have been craving a cherry danish or coffee cake, so thanks for the recipe!
Carolyn Jung said…
I was once like that, myself -- deathly afraid of using yeast, lest my baked good turn out leaden or flat as a pancake. But just like you, I finally took the plunge many years ago, and it wasn't so bad after all. Indeed, it was quite fun and rewarding. Congrats to you for leaping over that baking hurdle we all experience.
Spryte said…
That looks so good!!! I've only recently started working with yeast and I get so excited when I do!
Spryte said…
That looks so good!!! I've only recently started working with yeast and I get so excited when I do!
Ingrid_3Bs said…
Yay, for you and yeast! It look fabulous! I'm going to conquer my fear of yeast soon, too!
~ingrid