Banana Cake with Milk Chocolate Frosting


I found this cake on Fresh From Cate's Kitchen. It's a good cake but I prefer the banana cake that I posted a while back. The one that you put straight into the freezer from the oven when it is done. This is still worth baking if you feel like experimenting with different banana cake recipes. Just be aware that this makes a very thick, hard frosting. Almost like having a chocolate bar on top of the cake!!!

I've been home most of the day today since my youngest son is not feeling well. Kids that have allergies and are prone to asthma do not do well when the weather suddenly changes. His asthma has gotten way better as he has gotten older...nothing like it used to be when he was really little with the constant coughing and all. He practically lived on albuterol!!! Now I already know when it's guaranteed to act up. Hopefully this weather will at least stay consistent for a while and then warm up gradually. But who knows...we could have a foot of snow again in a week and then it will feel like Florida a few days later. Crazy!!!

1/2 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 ripe bananas
4 tbsp yogurt or sour cream
2 large eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 cups flour
1 cup milk chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 13 x 9 baking dish. Combiine the butter, sugar and vanilla in a stand mixer and mix well. (I used a hand held mixer). Stir in yogurt (or sour cream) and eggs, mixing well. Whisk together the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, then add the batter, stirring until blended. Fold in chocolate chips. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Set pan on a wire rack to cool.

Frosting
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1/4 cup butter
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tsp milk (I used waaay more!)

Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave or the top of a double boiler and cool slightly. Place butter and chocolate in the bowl of a stand mixer (I used hand held) and beat 2 minutes on medium high speed. Add the powdered sugar and continue mixing. Add the milk about 1/2 tsp at a time until the frosting is a spreadable consistency.

Comments

NKP said…
A chocolate bar on top of a banana cake sounds good to me!
Anonymous said…
Yum! Bananas and chocolate!
Jennifer said…
I am still thinking about that marble pound cake, I want to make it this weekend!
Anonymous said…
What a great combo of flavors.
Elyse said…
I must say, this looks delicious. And, either way, it's great to try new recipes!
The Blonde Duck said…
I totally get what you mean. Ben gets sick every time the weather changes! This cake may be just the thing to make him feel better!
This cake looks good and you're getting me on a chocolate kick. I made your marble pound cake last night and I will post it either this week of next. We are all gobbling it up!
Anonymous said…
The cake looks amazing!

My daughter is the same with coughing and asthma when the weather changes. She's also starting to cough since yesterday and I'm getting her inhaler ready.
Pam said…
Now that's my kind of cake! Looks absolutely delicious.
Anonymous said…
I'm a total dark chocolate fanatic. But you're right, there's something about the gentler nature of milk chocolate that really makes it perfection with bananas. Yum!
Judy said…
Your photos are so beautiful. This cake looks as delicious as the marble cake. I wish I lived closer so I could get some of each.
test it comm said…
Banana loafs/cakes are one of my favorites. I like the chocolate frosting!
Anonymous said…
I do not like bananas much, but enjoy cooking especially food cake. Meetings not very good that this will taste like
I will write again on his blog about this subject when completed
Thanks