Louisiana Crunch Cake


This is a cake that my husband asked me to make. He loves the Louisiana Crunch Cake that Entenmann's makes and found a recipe on the interent for me to try. He thought it would be like Entenmann's. Wrong!!! I don't know what an original Louisiana Crunch cake is like but both Entenmann's and this one are good - but different. Mine had a very crunchy topping (maybe that's why it is called crunch cake????). Entenmann's has a topping that is much softer, almost like a coffee cake. I have to say I really enjoyed this cake. The cake itself is very much like a pound cake with a crunchy topping. If you like pound cake and coffee cakes you will love this cake. Give it a try....I don't think it will disappoint. I would make this again and again....(Source for this cake is unknown)


Cake:
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 cups sweet butter
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
5 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup whole milk
Fine dry bread crumbs, as needed

Glaze:
1/3 cup sweet butter
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 cup ground coconut
1/8 cup ground almonds
1/8 cup ground cashewsI omitted these and used 1/4 cups almonds instead)

Heat oven to 350F. Spray a 9 or 10 inch tube or Bundt pan generously with cooking spray and dust with breadcrumbs. Shake out excess crumbs and set aside.

Glaze: Melt butter in small saucepan. Add sugar and corn syrup. Heat and stir until mixture boils. Remove from heat. Stir in coconut, cashews, almonds and vanilla extracts. Spread bottom of prepared pan. Set aside.

Cake: Sift flour and baking powder together into medium bowl; set aside.

In a mixer bowl, beat butter and sugar together until light. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well and scraping bowl after each addition. Beat in vanilla and almond extracts. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk. Mix well.

Spread evenly over topping in prepared pan. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Remove from oven and cool in pan 10 minutes. Invert onto wire rack; remove pan an cool completely.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I like the crunchy topping - sounds delicious!
Donna-FFW said…
Debbie- It sounds and looks so good. Its so pretty with the glaze. I'll have to try. I always look forward to your posts!!!!
Oh, I would put money on it that yours is better than Entenmanns!
Anonymous said…
I have no doubt it's delicious. Love the crunch and I've never heard of crunch cake either.
Cookie said…
Wow, all the crunchy nuts, LOVE it! I just bought a pan like that so I'm itching to test it out!
Kana said…
This is a very interesting recipe. I have never had cake with crunchy topping before.
I haven't heard of this before but it sounds and looks wonderful. I really like the crunchy topping.
Aggie said…
I'm so loving that topping!! How could you not love a crunch cake? Looks delicious!
Pam said…
Wow - what a cake. Love the crunch topping. This really looks and sounds amazing.
NKP said…
I have never heard of that cake before, sounds really good! I love the crunchy topping.
The Blonde Duck said…
That looks fascinating! I'll have to make it for my husband--he's a La. native!

I moved! Come see me at www.aduckinherpond.com.
jesse said…
Beautiful!!! I love the name of the cake too, how tempting!
test it comm said…
That looks good! I like the sound of that crunchy topping!
Nancy/n.o.e said…
I love the way the outside is covered with that crunchy glaze. I'll bet it was delicious!
Nancy
Amanda said…
Ooooo hwo yummy this looks!!
Hallo Debbie,

danke für das lecker Kuchenrezept. Ich hatte ein wenig Schwierigkeiten beim Einkauf, aber ich habe es geschafft. Wenn du magst dann kannst du hier http://zeitreisen.wordpress.com/2011/02/20/louisiana-chrunch-cake/
das Ergebnis an schauen.

Sonnige Grüße aus Deutschland,
Monika
Anonymous said…
Debbie:

I tried making this cake and although I feel I did everything correctly, obviously,something was wrong because the topping just stayed in the bottom of the pan. The cake itself turned out fine. That is, with the exception of the topping which stayed in the bottom of the pan along with part of the cake.
Could you please review and let me know? There is something I am missing.

Thank you.

Earl