Turkey Cheeseburgers (aka Make This NOW!!)


This recipe is fantastic! If you like turkey burgers (and even if you don't) you HAVE to try this recipe. I am not a big burger fan but something about the picture of this recipe in Family Circle just caught my eye and made me think yum - that looks good. I have to give it a try. I would also call this kid friendly since my youngest who is 9 (and his friend who was over) devoured them. That really surprised me because he is also not much of a burger lover. The recipe calls for using Arnold brand Multi-Grain Sandwich Thins. I checked these out while I was getting my ingredients for the burgers but they just looked too thin for me. So I served these on toasted whole wheat sandwich rolls with lettuce, which worked out great. The recipe also calls for broiling these burgers but I have never broiled turkey burgers before (I had visions of just burning these to a crisp under the broiler) so I fried these in canola oil instead. I don't know about broiling ground turkey. I just don't think it would cook well. I'd be afraid the middle would stay pink. (note: Had a hard time opening my mouth big enough to fit the burger in since now one side of my face is swollen from having my wisdom tooth extracted yesterday. Very cute. I was told the swelling will get worse by day 3 or 4 - just in time for going back to work!)

1 package (about 1 1/4 lbs) ground turkey

1 medium size zucchini, trimmed and grated (about 1 cup)

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1/2 teaspoon dried basil

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Heat 2 tablespoons canola oil over medium high heat. In a large bowl, combine turkey, zucchini, cheese, salt, onion powder, basil and pepper. Mix well and form into four (I got five) flat patties, each about 4 inches. Place burgers in frying pan and cook about 6 minutes on each side till nicely browned. Lower heat and cook additional 10 - 15 minutes so that middle is completely cooked through. (The original recipe calls for broiling each side 6 minutes, but I always cook turkey and chicken longer to be certain it is cooked through.) Toast rolls, if desired and and stack rolls with burgers, lettuce and tomato. I used purple lettuce...that's what is in the above picture!

Comments

The Blonde Duck said…
I love turkey burgers! I hope you feel better! Wisdom teeth removal is not fun. I had two out, one on the top left, the other on the bottom right. I was in college and home on break. Let me tell you, Ben had the audacity to call me Quasimodo when he saw me a week after. It was not cute.
Pamela said…
Yikes! I'm sorry about the wisdom teeth. Hope the swelling goes down sooner than they told you. The burger looks great. We eat turkey burgers alot, and I am always on the look out for new recipes!
NKP said…
I haven't has a turkey burger in ages. You are right, they would be good for the whole family, thanks!
Can't believe you went back to work so soon after your extraction, you are brave!
Anonymous said…
If I could only convince my hubby to eat them. I love them, so do my kids...him...he wants the beef. Maybe I'll trick him with these...hmmm.
test it comm said…
Zucchini burgers with zucchini and cheese sound really good. I gbet they were nice and moist.
Sara said…
I love turkey burgers, I'll have to give this a try. Hope you feel better soon!
Esi said…
I really love turkey burgers. This looks great. Sorry about the wisdom teeth! I was back at work two days after mine were out, swollen face and all :)
Anonymous said…
Have you ever cooked at high temperatures with rice bran oil instead of canola. Rice Oil is extremly healthy and the smoke point is one of the highest.
Jennifer said…
I am not a huge fan of turkey but these sure look good!
Pam said…
These look healthy and tasty. I love a good burger!

Hope your swelling goes down soon.
Ok you twisted my arm I will try this and it will be fun to grate the zucchini and get vegetables in the homegirlz without them knowing it. I read your New Years post and our tradidion is ham, cabbage and black eyed peas. Ham is for health, cabbage for money and black eyed peas for luck in the new year.