Stepgrandma's Cake


This is a wonderful recipe that I found over at Donna's blog called My Tasty Treasures. I could not go on enough about this great cake! All I can say is to try it...it is fabulous. I made this last weekend for a potluck and it was a hit! It is also very impressive looking - with four layers - how could it not be. Plus the delicious chocolate frosting, coconut, sprinkles and nuts......If you want to see some nice step by step pictures for making this cake, just go to Donna's blog. Or you can get just the recipe below. Just one more thing --MAKE THIS CAKE....it will not disappoint!


1 box yellow cake mix


1 small box instant vanilla pudding mix


4 eggs


1/2 cup vegetable oil


1 cup water


3/4 cup coconut (be sure to toast - at 350F for 5 - 7 minutes)


1/2 cup chocolate sprinkles


1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts (I used pecans since I had them)

Preheat over to 350F. Mix cake mix, vanilla pudding mix, 4 eggs, 1/2 cup vegetable oil and 1 cup water in large bowl with mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add chocolate sprinkles, toasted (cooled) coconut and nuts. Grease 2 8" round cake pans (I used baking spray with flour). Divide batter evenly into pans. Bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Let rest in pan for 10 minutes and then remove and place on cooling rack. I refrigerated these overnight (wrapped in plastic wrap) and found that made it easier to slice them in half. (Donna recommends putting in freezer for a while and I'm sure that is fine also.)

Frosting (this makes plenty with a little left over)

1 pint heavy cream

1 large box instant chocolate pudding mix

1 pint whole milk

Mix all the frosting ingredients and then beat on high until soft peaks form. I beat this until stiff peaks formed and that works also. This frosting has a great consistency. One of the best I have ever had!!!

Thanks Donna for a great cake! I will be making this a lot in the future!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I will make this cake! Right after I lose a few pounds from the holidays :)
Donna-FFW said…
I am soo glad you liked it Debbie. Im so glad you tried it!!You will have made my mother in laws day. I can't wait to tell her. It looks fabulous!!
Jennifer said…
If it starts out with a boxed cake mix, I am IN! Love it!
MaryBeth said…
Now that is one great looking semi-homemade cake. This is what my site is all about. It looks beautiful!
Anonymous said…
That's a great looking chocolate cake! I bet it's just delicious! Thanks for your comments on my blog - it's nice to meet you! I'm in Virginia too :)