Baked Acorn Squash


This recipe is so simple and tasty that I don't know why it has taken me so long to finally make it. I have always loved squash but just never got around to cooking it myself. After making this recipe, I'm sure all that will change. It is just sooo good. I think it could almost pass for a dessert. Almost....but not quite!!!! I came across this on Simply Recipes but you can kind of just use this as a guide since it's so simple to make. I will be having this again soon. I made 4 halves and my husband and I had one each. My youngest son did not care this at all so the next night we warmed up the 2 that were left. They were ok but not nearly as good as when they were freshly made.

2 Acorn squash

2 Tbsp butter

4 Tbsp brown sugar

4 teaspoons Maple Syrup

dash of salt


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Using a strong chef's knife and perhaps a rubber mallet to help (I used the rubber mallet - these things are tough), cut the acorn in half, lengthwise, from stem to end. Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and stringy stuff in the center of each half. Score the insides of each half several times with a sharp knife. Place each half in a baking pan, cut side up. Add about a 1/4 inch of water to the bottom of the baking pan so that the skins don't burn and the squash doesn't get dried out. Coat the inside of each half with 1/2 tbsp of butter. Add a dash of salt if you are using unsalted butter. Add a tbsp of brown sugar to the cavity of each. Dribble on a tsp of maple syrup to each half. Bake in the oven for 1 hour, or until squash is very soft and the tops are browned. Do not undercook. When finished, remove from oven and let cool a little before serving. Spoon any buttery sugar sauce that has not already been absorbed by the squash over the exposed areas. (serves 2 to 4 depending on how much squash you eat)

Comments

Good simple recipes are the best.
The Blonde Duck said…
I've never tried acorn squash...
Pamela said…
Sounds good to me. I've really gotten into squash as I've gotten older. Never even really tried it until a few years ago. Now, I love squash soup! Yum. It's on the menu for this week.
Anonymous said…
One of my favorite ways to eat squash!
Debbie this is a great idea with the maple syrup. I am curious and want to try this.
Emily said…
I love acorn squash.
It sounds really good with the maple!
Deborah said…
The first time I tried acorn squash was a year ago, so you're not alone! Delicious - and now I want some!
Looks great to me!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com
Anonymous said…
I have an acorn squash out for dinner. Thanks for sharing the recipe.