Tomato Vodka Sauce


Now this is a sauce that rocks!!! It is fantastic and so simple that I don't know why I never tried making it before. I've had vodka sauce in restaurants but just never thought of making my own. I found this recipe at http://www.allrecipes.com/ and the only thing that I changed was adding 1 large minced garlic clove and I only used half an onion and also minced that. I used a can of crushed tomatoes versus the diced tomatoes the recipe calls for and also added 1 tsp of sugar to combat any acidity from the crushed tomatoes. My Italian grandmother always added a pinch of sugar to her sauce so I figure she must have known something because her sauce was always fantastic. I just wish I had some of her other recipes. When you are young you just don't think to ask these things and then when you are older and they are gone you wish you had....Anyhow, if you want a simple sauce to make that is delicious, I would definitely recommend this. It is also "kid approved" since my 9 year old son loved it!!

1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 (28 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup vodka
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
1 pound penne pasta
Parmesan cheese

In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter and olive oil, add onion and saute for several minutes until transparent. (I added my garlic at this point for about 1 or 2 minutes). Add tomatoes and cook for 25 minutes or until almost no liquid remains in skillet, stir frequently. I used crushed tomatoes and also cooked the same amount of time and it worked fine. Increase heat and add cream, vodka and red pepper flakes; boil for 2 minutes or until thickened to sauce consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add penne and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain and transfer to a large bowl.
Bring sauce to a simmer and pour over pasta; toss to coat. Sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese; serve.

Comments

test it comm said…
Such a simple and yet tasty pasta sauce!
Emily said…
You had me at vodka...

Looks great!
I agree with emiline...you had my full attention at vodka! You are so right, I have never thought of trying vodka sauce at home. I am anxious to try your recipe. You are a rock star with this dish!
Anonymous said…
Anything with vodka has my attention. Looks delicous!
The Blonde Duck said…
I would have never thought of combining the two...how cool is that?!?
Debbie, I did try this this weekend and tweaked it just a tab. I will posit it this week. This is an amazing vodka sauce!