Taco Casserole


This is about the best taco casserole I have had to date. I made this last week and it was gone before I knew it. This is from Betty Crocker's Best of Baking. It's the first recipe I have tried from this book so I am looking forward to making many more good ones. I followed the recipe exactly with the exception of using 2 teaspoons instead of 4 for the chile powder. My youngest son does not care for food too spicy. He did love this so I would definitely call it kid friendly!


1 pound ground beef

1 can (15 ounces) chili beans

1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce

2 tbs taco, picante sauce or salsa

2 to 4 tsp chile powder

1 tsp garlic powder

2 cups coarsely broken tortilla chips

1 cup sour cream

1/2 cup sliced green onions (about 5 medium)

1 medium tomato, chopped

1 cup shredded cheddar or monterey jack cheese (I used monterey jack and it was very good)

Shredded lettuce and taco sauce, if desired


Heat over to 350F. Cook beef in large skillet over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until brown; drain. Stir in beans, tomato sauce, 2 tablespoons taco sauce, the chile powder and garlic powder. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally.

Place tortilla chips in ungreased 2 quart casserole. Top with beef mixture. Spread with sour cream. Sprinkle with onions, tomato and cheese.

Bake uncovered 20 to 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Arrange additional tortilla chips around edge of casserole if desired. Serve with lettuce and taco sauce.

Comments

Jaime said…
that looks so delicious! i love tex mex...
Anonymous said…
My kids would like this too! I love Mexican food so I will definitely be trying this!
I make one very similar to this and my family devours it instantly. Yours looks so good and I haven't had breakfast yet, I'm beginning to drool.
Deborah said…
Delicious! I generally have good luck with Betty Crocker recipes and this one looks like a winner!
Lo said…
Taco casserole... well, that's got broad appeal, if I do say so myself. I'll bet everyone enjoyed.
Anonymous said…
My guys will love this one! Looks so delicious.
Yum! perfewct for football season.
This looks really good. Suddenly I feel like I want some Mexican in my life.

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com
test it comm said…
That sounds tasty! It has so many of my favorite flavours. I really like texmex.
This is my kind of comfort food. Mmm.....good.