Old Fashioned Stuffed Cabbage


Is there anything like stuffed cabbage? As a child I didn't care for it at all. But now I love it! A tiny crunch from the cabbage and the flavorful filling inside.....oh is that good! I had made this recipe a while back and of course when I went to make it again could not find the book. I looked and looked at different recipes in other cookbooks but it was not how I remembered the ingredients. Anyhow, my husband bought another copy of the cookbook this came from because this is the recipe I HAD to make...no other one would do! It comes from The Taste of Home Cookbook and it is very easy to make and tastes just great! (I wonder if there is anyone else out there like me -- if I really like a recipe, that is it. I will only make that specific dish that way. I am like that with stuffed peppers. I will not make them with any other stuffing because I like them just the way I make them. Same with this recipe. I like this one and won't make my stuffed cabbage with any other filling than this one...is this weird???)!!


1 medium head of cabbage (3 pounds)

1/2 pound ground beef

1/2 pound ground pork

1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce, divided

1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice

1 small onion, chopped

1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon dill weed

1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained

1/2 teaspoon sugar


In a Dutch oven, cook cabbage in boiling water for 2 - 3 minutes just until leaves fall off head. Set aside 12 large leaves for rolls. Cut out the thick vein from the bottom of each reserved leaf, making a V-shaped cut. Set aside remaining cabbage. In a bowl, combine beef, pork, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, onion, rice, parsley and seasonings. Place about 1/4 cup meat mixture on each cabbage leaf; overlap cut ends of leaf. Fold in sides. Beginning from cut end, roll up completely to enclose filling. Slice remaining cabbage; place in Dutch oven. (I used a 9x13 inch baking pan covered with foil). Arrange cabbage rolls seam side down over sliced cabbage. Combine the tomatoes, sugar and remaining tomato sauce; pour over the rolls. Cover and bake at 350 F degrees for 1 1/2 hours or until tender and a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees.

Comments

Esi said…
Never had stuffed cabbage. Sounds great though
Emily said…
My mommy used to make these. I haven't had them in years.
Anonymous said…
I'm like you, I love stuffed cabbage now. My kids won't touch it though. That's okay more for me.
Prudy said…
That looks amazing. I'd love some of that with your brownies below!
I haven't had stuffed cabbage in years! I would be the only one eating it at my house...I think I'm worth it tho!
Deborah said…
I have never actually had stuffed cabbage before, but I have a recipe printed out from forever ago that i keep meaning to make. Now I'll have to get with it!