Blueberry Crumb Bars


It's another blueberry recipe here. I have SO MANY blueberries. I picked up a large container of them this weekend since they were on sale. Little did I know my husband picked up a large container also. So you can just imagine the amount I have! I was searching the net for a different blueberry cake when I came across this recipe from http://www.smittenkitchen.com/. She originally found it at http://www.allrecipes.com/ but made a few changes. It is really good and the bars are very easy to slice. She suggests refrigerating it and I will be doing that later and try it cold. I think it will be delicious that way too! The bar cookies I normally make are ones with chocolate chips or m&m's so this is a nice change (even if it is blueberries again!). I followed the recipe that smittenkitchen used and it's a good one.

1 cup of white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup cold butter (2 sticks or 8 ounces)
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon salt
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
4 cups of fresh blueberries
1/2 cup white sugar
4 teaspoons cornstarch

Preheat over to 375 degrees. Grease a 9x13 inch pan.
In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour and baking powder. Mix in salt and lemon zest. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.
In another bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the blueberries. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
Bake in preheated over for 45 minutes (my oven took almost one hour), or until top is slightly brown.
Cool completely before cutting into squares.

Comments

Deborah said…
I don't think there is such thing as too many blueberries! I saw these on Smitten Kitchen, and now I want them even more!
Emily said…
Those look amazing! I want some.

I love anything with blueberries.
Susan @ SGCC said…
I saw this recipe on Smitten's site too. They look fabulous! Great job!
Peabody said…
I think I will try these with blackberries.
Oh, wow, that does look deliciously moist. Blueberries are just coming in here too.
test it comm said…
That blueberry crumb bar looks really good!
Anne said…
Wow, those look amazing!