German Plum Cake


Here is a great recipe for plums. I had some on hand and figured I would give this recipe a try. I did learn one thing. Make sure your plums are still a bit firm. Ripe plums will not work well. The next time I make this I will use more plums. However, the cake itself is so good that even if you are low on plums (like me) it is still worth making. I love cakes with fruit and I would make this again and again. The recipe comes from http://www.cooks.com/. Hope you enjoy this as much as I have......

You'll need:

1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup of flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. almond extract
Purple Italian plums, stones removed, cut into wedges (enough to cover)

Topping:

1/cup sugar (I used a bit less)
1 tsp. cinnamon

Mix butter and 1/2 cup sugar well. Add eggs one at a time. Add almond extract.
Mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Add this to wet ingredients.
Butter a 9 x 9 inch pan. Spread batter evenly in pan. Press plum wedges on top of
batter.
Sprinkle topping over plums
Bake at 375 degrees for 40 - 45 minutes
(I dusted my cake with powdered sugar but this is not necessary if you cover the entire top with plums. Cake is also sweet enough and does not really need the extra sugar.)

Comments

Susan @ SGCC said…
My aunt makes a cake like this. We love it! Yours looks delicious!

BTW, my husband is from Woodbridge and I'm originally from the Bronx. We have a lot in common! :)