Carol's Cookies from The Walking Dead

If you're a fan of The Walking Dead you may remember several episodes back that Carol made a batch of cookies.  Thank goodness - because what that means to me is that at least in the event of a zombie apocalypse there are still cookies!  Yes, good ole cookies that you can make with ingredients that are in your cupboard and not in your fridge.  This recipe has no dairy in it so the bonus is that it is also vegan!  Are they good?  Yes, they are delicious!  Carol made these cookies from what she had on hand but I'm sure you can add whatever you think would make them even better - chocolate chips, nuts or some additional spices.  It's a good basic cookie that I will most definitely go to again and again and add something new each time.  You can find this recipe at amc.com.  Enjoy!

Makes approximately 1 dozen cookies

1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 large chocolate bar - I used dark chocolate
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup shortening
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl combine shortening, applesauce, white and brown sugar and mix until all ingredients are blended together well.
Add baking powder, baking soda, flour, salt and vanilla.
Mix until doughy and flour is completely absorbed.
Let dough stand 3 to 5 minutes.
Melt chocolate (I melted in microwave for about 20 seconds and mixed until thoroughly smooth.)
Add chocolate to dough and incorporate into mixture.
Place golf ball size dollops of dough (I used ice cream spoon) and place on ungreased cookie sheet and space about 2 inches apart.
Bake for 11-13 minutes and let cool on cookie sheet.

Comments

Emily said…
These look really good! I don't have many ingredients in my pantry cause I'm getting ready to move, so these would be perfect for me to bake.