Milky Way Cake (no Milky Ways needed)


This was a recipe that really caught my interest and I knew that I had to make it when I first saw it. I love candy bar cakes and love cakes that include colas and sodas. Something different and these cakes are usually pretty simple to make also. This one was a breeze. So simple yet tasty. I can't say that when you take your first bite you will think of a Milky Way bar but it does taste like one a bit. A good chocolate cake with a twist. I have seen recipes that actually call for Milky Way bars and I think I'll try one of those in the future just to compare. The good thing about this cake is that most of the ingredients are what we all have on hand and that is always a good thing. I am so tired of having to buy one ingredient for a recipe that I never use again. Usually that one ingredient (whatever it may turn out to be) is costly too! If you want a different chocolate cake definitely give this one a try! I found this recipe over at Recipe Shoebox.

1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 cups flour
3 Tbs cocoa
pinch of salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup boiling water
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla


Frosting:

1 1/3 cups sugar
1/2 + 1/8 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips

Preheat over to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.

For cake, cream butter with sugar. Add eggs, one at a time. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa and salt . Add dry ingredients and buttermilk alternately to butter/sugar mixture; stirring until just combined. Add boiling water, baking soda and vanilla. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

For frosting, boil together sugar, milk and butter for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add chocolate chips Pour evenly over cake. Make sure cake is still hot when you pour frosting so it is evenly distributed over cake.


Comments

Unknown said…
I really hope you saved me a piece! YUM.. that looks and sounds soooo good! I can't wait to try this one! (and thanks, now I'll be craving this all day at work!! lol)
La Bella Cooks said…
My kids would love to give this one a try. Looks and sounds so rich!
Cassie said…
My husband would love this! And his birthday is next week so I have a perfect excuse to make it for him!
Lara said…
I'm glad you liked it. :)
Joanne said…
Anything chocolaty sounds fabulous to me! And you just can't go wrong with something that even comes close to approximating a milky way bar!
Julie said…
Looks SO good! I'd take a piece right now :)
Pam said…
I would love a slice with some ice cold milk please.
Monica H said…
Yummy! I net my chocoholic husband would love this!
Chocolate cake, the downfall of any diet I've ever been on...LOL

My son's birthday is next week. Perhaps I can make this and leave it at his house so I'm not tempted.
teresa said…
oh this looks delicious! i love cake, especially when it tastes like a candy bar!
MaryMoh said…
mmm....delicious. I can eat any type of chocolate cake.
Amanda said…
Ohhhhh yummy!! Sounds marvelous! Hope you have a Happy Easter Debbie :)
Chef Aimee said…
You had me at the title! WOW!
It looks so moist and rich! And I agree, this would also make a great birthday cake!
Reeni said…
This looks scrumptious! I need some good chocolate cake recipes. I bet chopped up milky ways over top of the frosting would be yummy.
Chef Fresco said…
Looks very rich and moist. I think Michael would love to have this as his next bday cake!
The Blonde Duck said…
I used to love milky ways when I could eat chocolate...
Ha! I love that no Milky Ways are needed for a Milky Way cake. Too funny.
Delicous-looking cake even without the milky ways which I adore.

Nisrine
Manggy said…
For some unknown reason I'm not a fan of using actual candy bars in dessert, so this one works out just fine :) I love how thick and rich the frosting is especially :)
Barbara Bakes said…
I love recipes that I have all the ingredients for too. Especially since I often wait until my sweet tooth kicks in before I decide to bake. I'll have to give this one a try.
Justin said…
a late comment, but a cake that tastes like milky way? that's my kind of cake.
Katy ~ said…
OK, now I want a slice of this for my breakfast this morning! Debbie, this looks so chocolaty good!
I'm going to try and make my version as yours looks great! I sure hope that mine turn out as good as yours. And anything with chocolate sounds great to me!