Dreamy Cream Scones


As I sit here typing this post, the winds are blowing like crazy outside my window and northern Virginia has literally shut down. Even the snow plows have been pulled off the road. That is how bad it is outside right now. I can't ever remember a winter this bad in Virginia. I do remember them like this though when I was a child growing up on Long Island. They were fun back then, but they aren't now!!!!


I came across this recipe last week on Smitten Kitchen. Deb has a wonderful site and I've made several of her recipes before and they are always winners!!! I've never made scones before and absolutely love them. They are perfect to have with coffee or a latte. I can't even imagine having them with anything else. These will not disappoint. Thanks Deb for another great recipe!


2 cups (10 ounces) unbleached all purpose flour, preferably a low protein brand such as Gold Medal or Pillsbury

1 tablespoon baking powder

3 tablespoons sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

5 tablespoons chilled, unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes

1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped

1 cup heavy cream


Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees F

Place flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in large bowl or work bowl of food processor fitted with steel blade. Whisk together or pulse six times.

If making by hand, use two knives, a pastry blender or your fingertips and quickly cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal, with a few slightly larger butter lumps. Stir in dried cranberries. If using food processor, remove cover and distribute butter evenly over dry ingredients. Cover and pulse 12 times, each pulse lasting 1 second. Add dried cranberries and pulse one more time. Transfer dough to large bowl.

Stir in heavy cream with a rubber spatula or fork until dough begins to form, about 30 seconds.

Transfer dough and all dry, floury bits to countertop and knead dough by hand just until it comes together into a rough, sticky ball, 5 to 10 seconds. Form scones by either a) pressing the dough into an 8-inch round cake pan, then turning the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface, cutting the dough into 8 wedges with either a knife or bench scraper (this is the method that I used) or b) patting the dough onto a lightly floured work surface into a 3/4 inch thick circle, cutting pieces with a biscuit cutter and pressing remaining scraps back into another piece and cutting until dough has been used up.

Place rounds or wedges on ungreased baking sheet and bake until scone tops are light brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on wire rack for at least 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Comments

La Bella Cooks said…
A delicious scone right out of the oven is perfect for your snowy day.
Joyce said…
These sound and look delicious. I made Ina's scones last week with cranberries for my bloggers Valentine tea at my home. While they looked good they were lacking in taste which surprised me since I usually like all of her recipes. I will have to give this recipe a try.
Joyce
Jenn said…
Wow...stay warm. It' weird how we're all having crazy weather right now. At least you'll have some comfort in those delicious scones. I can imagine myself eating one with a nice cup of joe,, wrapped up in my favorite blanky. hehehe...
The Blonde Duck said…
How did you know I was craving scones?
George Gaston said…
Debbie, I am a huge fan of scones. So, I will definitely be trying your "Dreamy Creamy Scones"! Many thanks...
Your scones came out perfect Debbie, but then you are a master baker in my book! I's stuck in NYC watching a blizzard from my window...wish I had one of your scones.
Joanne said…
Deb is basically a genius. I'm pretty sure she could convert anyone to any of her recipes. These scones look awesome! I love a good scone with a good cup of coffee.
Chef Aimee said…
Its a snow day here too in NYC! It won't stop until the morning - not sure HOW I will get to work! I am home today but may go stir crazy by tomorrow.
Baking on a snow day is great, and your scones look delicious!
Reeni said…
These sound scrumptious - I love cranberries in baked goods! My town is pretty much shut down right now too. I wish I had some of these to comfort me.
Lovely scones - a perfect way to warm up the kitchen when the winds are howling outside. Stay warm, dear!
Chef Fresco said…
These look so yummy! I was just in Morgantown, WV and Pittsburgh yesterday for work - that snow is crazy! I was lucky to get back. I bet you are even more ready than me for winter to be over!
Kathleen said…
I'd love one of these for breakfast!!
Bunny said…
We're getting tons of snow here to Deb. It's unbelievable! I have to make these, they look fantastic!
tamilyn said…
I'm thinking that it would be great with some coffee, a blankie and a book!
Nutmeg Nanny said…
I made scones today too! These look great and I love the tart little cranberries...yum!
Mary Bergfeld said…
You made a perfect choice for a snowbound day. The scones sound delicious. Stay warm and dry. Blessings...Mary
Pam said…
Beautiful! I really need to try making scones, I still have never tried. Hope you stay warm.
teresa said…
this is so fun, and i love the name! i want to make these for breakfast tomorrow, especially since school is cancelled again!
Barbara Bakes said…
I love the name of these scones. Makes me want to whip up a batch!
Cathy said…
A warm scone and a cup of coffee is the perfect way to start the day. Love the addition of the tart cranberries. And I have to add a nice big pat of butter too, of course.
Sook said…
I made something similar to this the other day and loved it. :) Yours look wonderful.
Monica H said…
mmm. While in DC I had a scone that was awful and hard, but these look so good. Where were you when I needed these? :-)

You're right the winds on Wednesday were cuh-razy! Hope you're staying warm.
NKP said…
Yum, I love freshly baked scones - delicious!
Ingrid_3Bs said…
I made scones (the dough) once and put it in the freezer to bake the next morning then totally forgot about it. I'll have to give these a try with your and Deb's recommendation they must truly be awesome!
~ingrid