Sweet Banana Bread


I found this recipe on http://www.allrecipes.com/. What struck my interest was that it used a package of vanilla instant pudding mix. I had never seen or heard of a banana bread using this so, of course, I HAD to try this recipe! It is very good. Instead of adding nuts I used chocolate chips. If you do make this, do not eat this the same day you bake it. It tastes much better the second day. I think this holds true for most banana breads. They just become more flavorful if they sit for a day.


1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

3/4 tsp salt

1 (3 ounce) package non-instant vanilla pudding mix

2/3 cup white sugar

1/2 cup shortening

2 eggs

2 tbs milk

1 1/3 cups mashed bananas (I used 3 medium)

1/3 cup chopped nuts (I used chocolate chips)


In a small bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and vanilla pudding mix. In a large mixing bowl, beat sugar and shortening until light, scraping sides of the bowl often. Add the eggs one at a time, beating smooth after each addition. Mix in the milk. Add flour mixture and mashed bananas alternately to creamed mixture, beating until smooth after each addition. Fold in the nuts (or chocolate chips), if desired. Pour batter into a lightly greased 8 x 4 in loaf pan. (I used a 9 x 5 and it worked fine.) Bake in a cold oven (non preheated) oven set to 350 degrees F. Bake for 50 minutes, then cover with foil to prevent burning and bake for an additional 10 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Leave in pan for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and let cool.

Note: This recipe states to bake in a cold oven, which is what I did. I had read somewhere that when a pound cake is baked in a cold oven it will not have a hard or crisp top. I found that to hold true to this bread also. The top of the bread did crack open nicely but it was soft and not crunchy. I guess it all depends on your tastes.

Comments

Mandy said…
I love adding chocolate chips in banana bread too. Thanks for the tips on letting the bread sit for one day for better tasting. I need to try that out next time.
I love banana bread the next day!
Maria said…
Pudding in banana bread? I have never tried it but it sounds delicious! Looks good!
Emily said…
Mmm I love banana bread. It's so comforting.
Anonymous said…
I just made a banana bread too. I'll have to try the pudding next time. Looks delicious!